Tuesday 20 December 2011

So is Final Fantasy XIII-2 unfinished or what?

Ok, I'm annoyed, like majorly so. Warning that this post may contain spoilers for the game. I will point out when they are coming though.

Ok, so I really did try to avoid spoilers about this game. I really did. I know it was released in Japan on the 15th so I tried to be good. But when someone posted the ending on youtube, it was really too hard to resist.

!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firstly, I'm really annoyed that, as I thought, Noel and Serah are the only playable characters with Lightning appearing for about 10 minutes at the start of the game...What?!?! She's featured in every trailer and clip for this game, but you don't even get to play as her??? Not to mention that this is supposed to be a continuation of Lightning's story....how the heck does that work if she barely features in it?

Also, the ending??? Seriously Squeenix, seriously??? I have the collectors edition of this game on preorder, it's cost me about £50 and it looks like the game isn't even finished. I can accept Serah dying as part of the ending. She's always been a naff character. I wasn't looking for a sugar sweet happy ending, there could have been some drama in there too, but it looks like the game wasn't even finished. So Serah kicks the bucket, then all this chaos explodes around pulse and Valahalla starts to appear while Noel and Hope look on and then............cue the credits. Annoyed does not begin to describe how I feel. I'm so tempted to cancel my preorder.

Now I don't mind a sad ending, I don't mind it at all. But this looks like it's not even finished. It just stops. So then i find out that maybe you need to have all the 160 fragments to get the good ending. Like X-2 had multiple endings, people guessed that this was the same. I watched a live stream of someone with all 160, i watched as he defeated the final boss (which does look insanely awesome, i can't lie there) and i watched the naff ending roll. Then the credits.....and then 30 seconds of Caius sitting in a throne bringing sexy back. So wait, I have to grind like a crazy person for hours to get all those frag's only to then be rewarded with 30 seconds of Caius? No thank you. At least on X-2 for all the rubbish that game was, i was rewarded with Tidus being reunited with Yuna. Give me something here Squeenix, anything...I'm begging you.

!!!!!!!!!!!SPOILERS END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So then i remember that the game is going to have substantial Downloadable content. But wait, won't I have to pay extra for that? I don't mind throwing out a few extra pounds to get a cool boss fight or maybe a snazzy new costume if I'm in the mood, but to pay extra to get the rest of the game is a ripoff when I'm already paying about £50. And this game, with the ending does have the feel of an unfinished game. I know the buzz of gaming forums ATM is that maybe there's going to be a Final Fantasy XIII-3. Maybe there will be, but I'm still paying here for an unfinished game. I would then need to buy said extra game just to complete the one I've got. Sure from a company point of view it's an awesome idea as people will pay for it, but it also serves to piss your fans off. I mean yeah, if i buy XIII-2 (and that is an IF now) I would buy the extra content, but then I'm not likely to buy any more of your games full stop. I'll wait til they start hitting the second hand market and I can get them for £10 rather than £50. That is if i even want to play them. This whole move is just like the company is knocking the loyalty of it's fans down. All companies need to remember that without your fans you are nothing. Don't treat them like dirt.

So annoyed over this. God, words can't even describe my rage right now. You used to make good games Square Enix, very good games. You really do need to recapture that glory. Like I have mentioned though, the DLC here will mean everything, so a review of the game will come once that has been released.

Seriously, hire me and I'll show you how to write a good story for your games that doesn't annoy the fans like this.

Here's some Hope x Light to make me happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment