Friday 24 June 2011

Ocean Party.....Really isn't a party.

I feel a slight deviation is needed from my love of Final Fantasy and here it is. Ocean Party. I’m going to assume that no one has ever heard of this game and believe me that is probably a good thing.

Ocean party is one of the hundreds of games available on Facebook whereby you create your own little aquarium, fill it with fish and then level up by how many fish you sell. Yeah I know, there’s a dozen of these games out there. However I chose to play this little waste of time as it was created by the people over at Gaia Online, a website I do spend quite a bit of time at.

Initially it had a lot going for it. You played the game on Facebook and you could then transfer your experience points gained in the game for cash over on the main Gaia website. It was a pretty solid concept as after all, it was a pretty cute game and meant I could gain gold on Gaia easier than playing Booty grab for hours on end.

But that’s where the praise ends as Gaia withdrew that little hook and left Ocean party as a stand alone game. And that’s pretty much where Ocean party ends. All the time I’ve been playing the game, it has never had any new content added and the ease by which you level up is only made easy if you have friends that play it too. No friends playing it, you get ten fish at anyone time. And believe me, it takes a long time to get to level 50 with just ten fish.

But that is another flaw in the game, you get to level 50and then what? Nothing. Game over. Find another little cheap game to amuse you for ten minutes every day because you can’t actually progress past 50. Not that I’m sure you’d want to because at Level 40, I’ve lost complete interest in it.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s cute and I love cute things. The designs of the fish are nice and different from other aquarium games and you can tell straight away its based on Gaia Online, but it’s so monotonous. It’s a case of put new fish in tank, feed fish, sell fish, every three days or so. It’s boring. There is a mini game called Scrubbles that you can play, but that lasts for 30 seconds if you’re lucky and again can only be played once for every friend you’ve got hat plays the game. Only got three friends playing? Enjoy playing it for 1.30 minutes because that’s all you’ll get.

Not to mention the game is buggy as hell. So often it’ll tell me I have a full tank with only 6 fish actually in it. Or you’ll try and buy new fish only to find you can’t actually click on the fish in the shop. The answer? Load the game back up. I’m sorry but my computer is not fast at the best of times. I’m not reloading it every time something goes wrong otherwise I’d be at it all day.

Seriously, avoid playing this one. It’s just dull and boring with much better alternatives out there if raising digital fish is your calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment